Subject: Re: verisign *.net action
To: None <tech-net@NetBSD.org>
From: William Allen Simpson <wsimpson@greendragon.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/17/2003 09:13:56
Bill Sommerfeld wrote:

> >       do we want this (quickhack) patch into our BIND8?
> >       http://achurch.org/bind8-verisign-patch.txt
>
> An official patch from ISC is reportedly immanent; see:
>
>         http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19860-2003Sep16.html
>
> and:
>
>         http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,60473,00.html

http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/delegation-only.html

Only patches BIND 9, any idea whether how hard it will be to back port
to 8?

der Mouse wrote:

> > (The tempation being [of course] to just blackhole all the addresses
> > owned by verisign...  :-)
>
> Those interested in this may wish to look into the
> verisign.blackholes.us DNSL.  (I was just a few hours too slow, or I'd
> have had something similar set up myself.)

Cute.  We (and many other ISPs) quickly dropped a hardcoded blackhole
into our routers, but it doesn't solve the real problem -- email will
still queue for days to the bogus DNS address.

A BIND change is the best, as the bogon address doesn't arrive to the
other servers and clients (and customers).
--
William Allen Simpson