Subject: Re: random ip_id must be configurable
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/16/2003 11:16:43
Getting back to the original problem I was talking about:

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 05:04:01PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> id 52018  last call for id at    465455, current call    465456 (diff     1)
> id 61704  last call for id at   3483418, current call   3483419 (diff     1)

Do we have any protocol problems when using this generator in its
current form?  One case I'm specifically wondering about is in
libc/net/res_mkquery.c.

  dns client sends request #1 with id N for host www.foo.com
  dns client sends request #2 with same id N for host www.bar.com
  server replies to request #2 with result 1.2.3.4
  server replies to request #1 with result 5.6.7.8

Is there anything in the dns client code that would detect that the
replies were sent in reverse order, or will the application assume that
because the ID matches that everything is ok?

Maybe we should #ifdef out the use of the current generator until this
problem is addressed?

Simon.
--
Simon Burge                                   <simonb@wasabisystems.com>