Subject: Re: Configuring routed(8) with a static default route
To: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/2003 19:42:41
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, David Laight wrote:

> >                 |--- fw1 ---|
> >     remotegw ---|           |-------------------------------
> >                 |--- fw2 ---|     |       |       |
> >                 |               host3   host4   host5  ...
> >                 |-- host1
> routed on fw1/2 should declare itself to be the default gateway on the
> internal network (gateways have [1] to be in the systems own subnet).

Yes, indeed! But how can I make it do so? As I said, I've played with
all the different ways to configure this that I can think of, but I
cannot get routed to announce a default route to the internal network.
(Keep in mind routed is not talking to remotegw in any way; the default
route must be statically configured.)

> The real problem you have is that IP routing isn't designed for 'fast
> failover'.  Routed doesn't help since the daemons don't chatter to
> each other continuously (would waste a lot of bandwidth).

Well, it depends on what you consider "fast" failover. This setup should
probably fail over within a minute or two, which would be loads better
than what we have now (fails over when someone comes in and changes
everything by hand).

BTW, I'd appreciate CC's on replies to this, since I'll see those a lot
faster than I'll see them on the list.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org