Subject: Configuring routed(8) with a static default route
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/03/2003 18:08:46
I've got a network that looks like this:

                |--- fw1 ---|
    remotegw ---|           |-------------------------------
                |--- fw2 ---|     |       |       |
                |               host3   host4   host5  ...
		|-- host1

		|-- host2

remotegw is a router outside of my control, and provides routing to the
internet. Everything else is one of my hosts. Let's call the left-hand
network "outside" and the right-hand network "inside."

So basically, I wanted to run a very simple routing configuration where
the firewalls and the hosts run routed, and the hosts receive routing
information from fw1 and fw2. hosts 1 and 2 should receive a route to
the inside network from fw1 and fw2, and host3, host4, etc. should
recieve a default route from fw1 and fw2. Thus, if either fw1 or fw2
goes down, all the machines will still communicate happily, and the
hosts on the inside network will still have access to the outside world.

Unfortunately, routed does not distribute the static route to remotegw
that was put in (at boot time) in the kernel routing tables of fw1
and fw2, and all sorts of playing around with "net" lines and various
options in /etc/gateways, as well as the -F option, has not let me find
a way to get routed to announce a default route on the inside interface.
Anybody got a clue as to what I should be doing here?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org