Subject: Re: bge0 doesn't like to autodetect gigabit
To: Bryan Vyhmeister <bsd@hub3.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 09/02/2003 09:59:33
In message <r02000100-1026-C3A32494DD2211D79B49000393D5E5DA@[10.0.1.30]>Bryan Vyhmeister writ
es
>> I've noticed that IBM servers with onboard Broadcom gigabit ethernet
>seem
>> to have issues when connected to gigabit switches. I've tried Netgear
>and

What kind of bge? Are these the same onboard 5703 on IBM servers for
which Matt Thomas(?)  added support, or something else again?

>> connection is going up and down). The source indicates that this are
>just
>> printed pretty much any time bge_tick() is called.

IIRC, that message (and calling bge_tick for link events) is allegedly
a workaround for a hardware bug/misfeature on the bcm5700 chip: the
hardware link-state FSM is broken and has to be checked in software.
The driver should not be taking that path at all for a 5701 or newer.

>I have experienced the exact same problem except I am using a Supermicro
>X5SS8-GM motherboard which has an onboard bge(4) interface. I have not
>been able to get it to work with gigabit at all.

That's what you would get if the driver is not applying the correct
PHY/DSP patch for your particular hardware revision. What rev does the
driver claim, and what are the acutal PCI register values?

>I have been using
>Linksys switches. I tried this in 1.6.1 and also -current and it does
>not seem to make a difference.

FWIW,I had no problems (once the DSP patches were correct) with
bcm5700s or 5704s, to Cisco Catalyst or Extreme Summit switches.

It would help to know *exactly* what family and chip is affected
(e.g., bcm 5703, revision a2). If the driver doesn't give that much
detail, we can figure it out from the PCI registers.