Subject: Re: Fw: Re: tcp connections lost on interface down
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/23/2003 23:01:52
bouyer@antioche.eu.org (Manuel Bouyer) writes:

>If power goes out, the connection will be broken too.
>Still, this, or running out of mbuf, is an exeptionnal event. If it isn't
>then you have to do something about it (buy an UPS, or increase the number
>of mbufs).

In my opinion, reconfiguring the network is an exceptional event too.

>OK, this I can accept. Until now you talked about dropping a connection
>when the address becomes invalid, not after a reasonable timeout after the
>address becomes invalid.

Well, I was also talking about not ignoring the error because someone
wants to re-attach an interface after a 3 days time of the computer
waiting in suspend mode :-)

Dropping a connection when the address becomes invalid still sounds
reasonable to me. I'd rather add methods for "moving" an address
between interfaces that would not be seen as an exception. Providing
exact information (distinguishing between temporary and permanent
reconfigurations) is always better than guesswork.

However, a short (or at least configurably short) timeout serves the
same purpose. So it is also something I can accept.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de