Subject: pppoe reconnection
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/19/2003 09:52:59
Hi,

I've got a 1.6.1_RC2 i386 using in-kernel pppoe for an ADSL link.

Yesterday my link went down.  I tried to restart it manually with
ifconfig down/up, and about 7 minutes after the last I saw:

	Aug 18 19:59:12 way /netbsd: pppoe0: LCP keepalive timed out, going to restart the connection

This morning, the link still wasn't up so I tried a manual ifconfig
down/up again and it sprang into life.

I'm looking at net/if_spppsubr.c:sppp_keepalive() where the above
message is printed, but still not sure what exactly is happening in
there yet...

My /etc/ifconfig.pppoe0 looks like:

	create
	! /sbin/ifconfig we0 up
	! /sbin/pppoectl -e we0 $int
	! /sbin/pppoectl $int myauthproto=pap 'myauthname=foo@bar' 'myauthsecret=baz' hisauthproto=none max-auth-failure=0
	0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 up

and pppoectl output is:

	way 81# pppoectl -v pppoe0
	pppoe0: phase=network
		myauthproto=pap myauthname="foo@bar"
		lcp timeout: 1.000 s
		idle timeout = disabled
		max-auth-failure = 0

Any suggestions on how I can get the link to automatically come up after
a long outage?

Simon.
--
Simon Burge                                   <simonb@wasabisystems.com>