Subject: Re: Fw: Re: tcp connections lost on interface down
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/18/2003 22:21:39
    Date:        Sun, 17 Aug 2003 20:33:00 +0000 (UTC)
    From:        mlelstv@serpens.de (Michael van Elst)

  | This conflict comes from mixing and merging the various layers. Setting an
  | interface up/down has lots of implications, that it is used to trigger a
  | renegotiation is _one_ effect, changing routes is another, notifying
  | applications used to be another for a short time. Maybe this needs to
  | be decoupled.

If what you're suggesting is that it would be useful to have an API by which
the kernel could be instructed to terminate all connections using a particular
address, then that would be fine, I can see uses for that - in fact I can
see uses for quite a few different kinds of administrative control on
address use (eg: the ability to ignore particular prefixes advertised in
IPv6 RA's - and for anyone who cares, adding security to RAs is an
orthagonal issue).

But attempting to infer that this should be done, merely because of some
change made to an interface (disabling it: "ifconfig down", deleting an
address from it, or removing the hardware completely) is simply wrong.

kre