Subject: Re: No replys to Bind 8.3.4
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Luc Wasmer <jl.netbsd@wasmer.ca>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/30/2003 12:02:17
Repost to the list... the original message was discarded due to the big (60
K) attachment.

> > Sometimes, named stops working and the only way to fix this is to shut
> > it down and restart it.
> > This appends once in a blue moon so it's difficult to find the cause.
> >
> > Tcpdump on the server shows my laptop requesting and address, then the
> > server requests that address to the root servers but THERE ARE NO
> > REPLIES!
> > My server keeps sending out request to many servers.
> > Once I restart named, my server receives the replies!
> >
> > My config: NetBSD 1.6.1 (BIND: named 8.3.4-REL-NOESW).
> > I know it's not a connection problem with the ISP since I have the same
> > pbm at work (with an older version, 8.3.3) at our remote office and I
> > can connect with ssh to restart Bind (takes some time to connect since
> > sshd can't reverse lookup my IP address).
>
> Hum, I have several 8.3.4-REL-NOESW running (stock 1.6.x binaries), and I
> never noticed such a problem. I have one at home, and 3 at work.

I know, it's weird. I run 5 NetBSD boxes... and this only happens on two of
them. By the way, netstat freezes when this happens.

I captured tcpdump's output (check attachment).
named was killed arround 12:00:12.

JL