Subject: Re: PF for netbsd
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/28/2003 20:04:04
On Sun, Jun 29, 2003 at 08:46:28AM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> >> then why not
> >> accept the use of something that we have more control over instead
> >> of waiting on the ipf development to integrate a new feature?
> >
> >I'm not sure what you realy mean, but PF does 100% fail to meet the "more
> >control" criteria - which is probably still quite an understatement.
>
> 	you can join openbsd project if you would like to participate PF
> 	development.  there's no rule such as "netbsd developer can't become
> 	openbsd developer".  i do both, and some others do.

FSVO "you", perhaps.  The NetBSD project is currently home to a number of
developers who were either:

	* Denied developer status in the OpenBSD project unless they
	  quit the NetBSD project

	* Forcibly expelled from the OpenBSD project after refusing to
	  renounce their ties to the NetBSD project or other open-source
	  projects that were evidently percieved as competing with
	  OpenBSD

	* Forcibly expelled from the OpenBSD project for some other reason.

Indeed, you're one of the only people to be found who has managed to
maintain any sort of tenure in both camps.  To suggest that we should switch
packet filter/classification engines and apply en-masse for developer status
in another, frequently hostile and capricious, software project so that we
can have any influence whatsoever on the development of the enginer we are
to switch _to_ seems rather naive, so say the least, given the three
contextual points stated above.

Thor