Subject: Re: PF for netbsd
To: Kenjiro Cho <kjc@csl.sony.co.jp>
From: Erik Berls <cyber@ono-sendai.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/28/2003 10:10:23
On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 03:07:51AM +0900, Kenjiro Cho wrote:
]
] Darren,
]
] > > > Maybe I'm just more concerned about things architecturally and looking
] > > > for a good design...
] > >
] > > Maybe, sometimes I'm just more concerned about having things done at
] > > the right time with the given constraints :)
] >
] > What time constraints ? :)
]
] In this particular case, OpenBSD has its release cycle, and my
] collaborators and I had limited time for the job and didn't know if we
] could do it in the next release cycle.

Woah! Time out!

My reading of this is that design desicions that are going to affect
NetBSD are being rushed because of *Open*BSD's release cycle?

This has got to stop.  The OpenBSD attitude of "just upgrade to
the next release" has already caused problems with OpenSSH integration.
There has already been one ABI issue with a massive pullup on a
release branch instead of just applying a fix as a result.

The *last* thing we need is this sort of BS happening in the kernel.

At this point, my take is that if we have to find an alternate
source for priority queueing and IPv6/IPSec, then so be it.

-=erik.