Subject: NetBSD and HomePNA 2.0
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Yoav Cohen-Sivan <yoavcs@hotmail.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/21/2003 18:29:52
Hello,

I have unsuccessfully searched for HomePNA support in NetBSD for the vast
majority of HomePNA cards out there based on the Broadcom 4211 HomePNA 2.0
chipset.

There is partial support for Linux through a binary-only loadable module but
the module is dated and won't work with newer Linux kernels (it is compiled
with GCC 2.x and won't load into a 3.x compiled kernel).

From what I understand the 2Wire Home Portal Residential gateway runs NetBSD
and uses the above chipset for its HomePNA support. So I am hoping that
maybe someone out there can get this to work. (I also understand some of the
NetBSD core actually works for Broadcom). Unfortunately I am not a kernel
hacker.

Does anyone know if support for these is being worked on? Seems to me
HomePNA use is on the rise with all the new home broadband subscriptions,
and now that HomePNA 3.0 is just around the corner I doubt Broadcom would
mind releasing the specs to their HomePNA 2.0 chips.

Alternatively, anyone know of a good HomePNA device with support in NetBSD?

Thanks,
Yoav