Subject: Re: TCP v. TCP6 interop
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/19/2003 12:43:47
--jq0ap7NbKX2Kqbes

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 03:09:17PM -0500, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Chris Jones wrote:
>=20
> > Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > >
> > > The application on legolas could be using an IPv4-mapped address,
> > > which looks like IPv6 to the application, while using plain old IPv4
> > > transport. When you look at the numeric address, with "netstat -anf
> > > inet6", does it start with "::ffff"?
> >
> > Yes.
>=20
> That's what it is, then. This lets an IPv6-converted application run
> on dual-stack hosts with no IPv6 connection whatsoever.

=2E.. and without having multi-address family support. That is, you can
convert an application to IPv6-only code, and if your OS supports binding
or connecting to IPv4-mapped addresses, the application will handle them,
too. On NetBSD you can switch on this behaviour with

sysctl -w net.inet6.ip6.v6only =3D 0

However, if you do this, you'll have to be more careful in what you=20
write into your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/services, as IPv6 address
expressions in the former and tcp6 or udp6 lines in the latter will
catch IPv4 connections, too, which might or might not what you intend.

Regards,
	-is
--=20
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/