Subject: Re: TCP_NODELAY in telnet (Re: CVS commit: src)
To: David Maxwell <david@crlf.net>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/18/2003 15:07:34
>I read it der Mouse's way.

Then mabye you (and Mouse) SHOULD acquire better reading skills. :-/.

Note that "SHOULD implement the Nagle algorithm", in this context,
clearly means "SHOULD do the Nagle algorithm".  If we default Nagle to
disabled, we are in violation of the SHOULD, as written and as it's
been interpreted by the TCP community for the last 14-odd years.

An implemntation MUST provide a way to not do Nagle.  Consider a TCP
implementation which fails the SHOOLD: it doesn't do Nagle by default,
therefore the `way' (on this TCP implementation) which MUST be
provided to disable Nagle, is just a no-op.

If you really want to ask Bob Braden, go ahead. But please don't
associate the name NetBSD with your request, as that may embarrass
(some of) the rest of us.