Subject: Re: TCP_NODELAY in telnet (Re: CVS commit: src)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/16/2003 21:40:49
> Well, if you like, you could always ask Bob Braden.  But in context
> (the rest of RFC-1122, and the requirement to provide a way to
> disable it), the meaning of SHOULD implement as "on by default' seems
> eminently clear to me.

Even granting that, arguendo, defaulting it to off is no worse than not
implementing it; at worst it's violating a SHOULD.

I'm not sure there's any need, though, as comparatively few programs
actually have any call to disable Nagle - it's really only for things
where timing is fairly critical, as in direct human interaction (like
my game) or real-time stuff, rare compared to all the other network
code out there.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign