Subject: Re: Design of bridge(4)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/09/2003 13:01:50
>> ifconfig wm0 inet 10.0.0.1 up
>> ifconfig bridge0 create
>> brconfig bridge0 add wm0
>> brconfig bridge0 add wi0
[versus]
>> ifconfig bridge0 create
>> brconfig bridge0 add wm0
>> brconfig bridge0 add wi0
>> ifconfig bridge0 inet 10.0.0.1 up

> In the latter case, with which MAC is an ARP request answered?

I can't see why a bridge `interface' would even _have_ an IP address,
or why it would be answering ARP requests; based on reading bridge(4),
I see no reason to think it has any interest in receiving packets in
the sense of passing them to higher protocol layers on the local host.

Or does a bridge interface not only bridge but also receive?  In that
case, bridge(4) is incomplete, and a bridge interface has to have a MAC
address, which could be a locally-administered address or could come
from the MAC address of one of its component interfaces or whatever.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign