Subject: Re: Adding TTL information to gethostbyname() and friends
To: NetBSD Networking Technical Discussion List <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/02/2003 19:37:10
On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 04:52:32PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> "Greg A. Woods" <woods@weird.com> writes:
>
> > Note that some vendors have indeed tried to provide other forms of
> > solutions for this problem, e.g. the SunOS' nscd.  They're not always
> > exactly the "right" solution, and the example of 'nscd' is one that still
> > avoids fixing the TTL problem to such an extent that it often causes
> > even more problems of its own than it solves.  Even so 'nscd' is still
> > conceptually better than every individual application instance trying to
> > do the same thing (even if the applications were to manage to honour DNS
> > TTLs properly).
>
> Please name one other existing solution for this issue, given that
> nscd is a total bodge (which I agree with).  (Other than running your
> own local DNS cache, which at present means pushing a sysadmin task on
> to every end-user.)

  Vendors are getting on-board for Apple's zeroconf networking initiative
  (Apple Rendezvous aka IETF Zeroconf), it's an idea whose time has
  come, and it is heavily based on DNS extensions. One such extension
  is Multicast DNS, which demands caching. So why not break down and
  write a new daemon that provides a local DNS cache and also service
  advertising and discovery a la Rendezvous, that way killing two birds
  with one stone?

  Just a thought.

Dave