Subject: Re: problem with three identical 3Com NICs
To: Thomas Bohnert <bohnert@ccrle.nec.de>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/15/2003 11:48:58
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:21:59PM +0200, Lucio De Re wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 10:35:08AM +0200, Thomas Bohnert wrote:
> >
> > > Presumably these are ISA cards?  Not even PnP?
> > yes you are right, actually they are.
> >
> I prefer them to almost anything else, hang on to them, they're great
> for small networks.

IMHO you shouldn't even consider using an ISA ethernet card in a system
that has a PCI bus.  The performance of the ISA bus is comparable to
that of the ethernet network.
Trying to use 3 cards will lead to packet loss.

> But I'll be surprised if the kernel can't handle properly configured
> 3COM cards.  Just remember that ISA does not allow I/O or IRQ
> sharing.

IRQ sharing is possible, most ISA systems and many ISA cards support
'active low' shared interrupts.

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk