Subject: isdnd & /etc/rc.d/network
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Martin Weber <Ephaeton@gmx.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/09/2003 00:55:22
Hello,

I'm here on behalf of a friend of mine who just updated to
-current (from some very strange and tweaked nbsd-1.5 + i4bsd),
and he reports a strange thing. He is not the type of guy who
will fiddle with a working setup, so I come here asking for
advice before I want to take it on to him.

He had a problem with setting up his isdn connection. He ran
auto_ifconfig=YES before, and created a isdn config file like
is suggested, plus put isdnd=YES into his /etc/rc.conf. Now
at startup time, obviously there was no ippp0 already, so it
was not found by ifconfig when auto-configuration was taking
place. He has an ifconfig.ippp0 file there and in place.

I suggested to him putting auto_ifconfig=NO and
net_interfaces="<ethernet> ippp0" into his /etc/rc.conf, while
he said that won't help for isdnd-rc starts later than network-rc
and so the device isn't configured yet during the time network-rc
tries to configure it. Well, a simple solution is to put a
network restart in his rc.local because it will take place after
isdnd-rc has run.

Now of course that looks like a sub-optimal solution to me (but
as I said, it works).

I do not know if configuring ippp0 really works or not if isdnd
is not up and running yet, so my questions are:

1: will configuring ippp0 BEFORE starting isdnd work ?
  ( i.e. use the scheme:
    net_interfaces="<ether> ippp0"
    auto_ifconfig=NO
    isdnd=YES
  >> do a normal boot )

2: when auto-ifconfig won't work, shouldn't the isdnd-connectivity
how-to point out that you should turn it off and use net_interfaces
instead ? (referring to the isdn howto under
 <www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/isdn>)

if it doesn't, why does rcorder sort network before isdnd ? and/or
should isdnd start before network ?

Thanks in advance.

-Martin

PS: I would simply test it myself, but I have no isdn connection
anylonger. And as I said, he is happy when his system runs, and
I gave up asking him to play around with configurations a long time
ago.. plus he's in munich, I'm in erlangen, else I'd just go there
and check myself :)