Subject: Re: Building IP-login (ipfw or what)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/04/2003 23:19:32
>> Let me rephrase.  What is "IP-login"?

> You get IP number from dhcp.  Your traffic is blocked in the router
> until you have successfully logged in.  Preferably via a web page
> where to you are automatically redirected until you've logged in.

> I thought this was "well known". :)  There exist a couple of "nice"
> solutions, but none based on netbsd. :(

There is something very similar based on NetBSD; I wrote it one summer
a few years back for a local university.  The login is via something
that looks like telnet, not a webpage, and it's not a question of
redirects; until you've logged in, you simply can't speak to anywhere
except the address you're supposed to telnet to to log in.

As I designed it (this was how they wanted it), you could get your
address via DHCP or you could just read it off a label on the jack you
plugged in to; each port had a fixed address.  (The code dynamically
regenerates the DHCP config file as hosts come and go, so when a given
host DHCPs it gets the right address.)

I believe the code is philosophically either BSD-licensed or up to me
(in which latter case it's public domain); if there's interest I can
get a definitive statement from them about it.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign