Subject: Re: IPv6 autoconfiguration problem
To: Jan Mikael Melen <Jan.Melen@iki.fi>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 04/02/2003 21:12:23
>> 	ok.  but the values you have chosen are way too short.  i don'
>> 	recommend such a setting.
>
>Yes, I know that those are very short and not to be used in the normal
>case but these values were chosen to demonstrate the problem because the
>problem also exists if I have a longer life time for the addresses. All
>the active connections will get no route to host while the address is
>missing from the interface.
>
>It is also quite irritating if one makes a program that listen's to
>routing socket when you'll get all the time RTM_DELADDR and RTM_NEWADDR
>from the routing socket because the address is lost and right after
>reconfigured again. This causes waste of clock cycles which are used to
>update all sort of neat routing stuff and few seconds later again updating
>the same data back in.

	let me check a couple of things:
	- do you see RAs with the interval specified in rtadvd.conf?
	  (if not, it's rtadvd's bug)
	- is your ethernet card on host (autoconfigured client) properly
	  handle incoming multicast packet?  if there's any difference
	  if you put the interface into promisc mode, your ethernet card
	  (or driver) has some problem.
	- what is the address lifetime configured onto the hosts?  how they
	  behave?  could you track the behavior down by running ifconfig
	  repeatedly?

	to diagnose further i'd need to see a full event logs (or create
	the same environment as yours).

itojun