Subject: Re: YP & chpass/chfn/chsh question
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Stephen M. Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/27/2003 16:03:22
Manuel writes:

> No you don't have to run yppasswdd on the clients. The problem is something
> else ...
> What aurguments are passwd to yppasswdd on the server ?

BTW, I'm using 1.6

yppasswdd is started on the server without arguments.  I assume you
were looking for -noshell or -nogecos and such .. right?

Here is what I see on the clients:

# passwd -y test99
Changing YP password for test99.
Old password:
New password:
New password:
Retype new password:
The YP password has been changed ...

# chfn -y test99
chfn: unknown user: test99

In the system source for the 'chpass' suite, there is a variable USE_YP
which is checked for not being set to no, if it does this, it will also
build 'pw_yp.c' which I assume has all the hooks for interfacing with
the yppasswdd.  It looks like it builds that and links it .. :

usage: chpass [-a list] [-s shell] [-l] [-y] [user]

Yet it still appears to be looking in the local passwd file (which is
essentially empty)