Subject: YP & chpass/chfn/chsh question
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Stephen M. Jones <smj@cirr.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/27/2003 14:24:22
I've got YP configured with a server and a few clients.  The server is
running ypserv and yppasswdd ..

clients are configured and are only running ypbind ..

its possible to change a passwd using 'passwd' or 'yppasswd' .. however,
chpass, chfn and chsh don't seem to be able to update the master server.

I tried building the source with 'USE_YP=yes' and I've tried running
chpass -y, but it appears to still only look at the local passwd file.

I don't believe yppasswdd needs to run on the clients .. if it does,
the /etc/rc.d/yppasswdd complains that '$ypserv is not set'