Subject: wi hostap mode
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 03/07/2003 13:20:12
Last night at the San Diego BSD User's Group meeting, we poped a wavelan
card in my laptop running 1.6N, someone told me the commands to type, and
the laptop just came up as an access point!

Very cool!

A few things we noticed were:

* It would be nice if either man wi or man ifconfig showed an example of
  how to configure a card as an access point. The other folks'd done it on
  either Open or Free, so they already knew. I wouldn't have from the man
  pages though.

* wictl on one of the other BSDs will list all the hsots assosciated
  with the access point. I found out that wiconfig -D, which is meant
  to search for access points, seems to report assosciated hosts,
  but it doesn't adapt to the fact they are assosciated and not access
  points. For instance, it reports access points with BSSIDs equal
  to the other hosts' MAC addresses. I think all that's needed is for
  -D to note that it's an access point interface, and format the output
  differently.

All in all, VERY nice!

Take care,

Bill