Subject: Re: synchronous ip_id
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Niels Provos <provos@citi.umich.edu>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/24/2003 18:12:39
On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 03:08:29PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:
> The sparseness of the space is already worrisome.  You're talking
> about shrinking it by half.  In my book, 16 bits is already "quickly"
> and you're getting to the border of "very quickly". Just doesn't
> seem worth it for an issue which (as smb said):
Sigh.  Apparently I was not very clear though I have just been for two
days in Germany now.  You have a 15-bit non-repeating random number
space.  After you have exhausted that space, you toggle the high bit
and start over with a different 15-bit non-repeating random number
space.  And so forth.  At the end, you still have a 16-bit space.

Niels.