Subject: Re: Replacing oddly networked NT machine
To: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/17/2003 12:53:35
On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Stephen Borrill wrote:

> a) bridge the networks with bridge - but this does not allow ipf rules
> (currently), so I might as well just join everything together.
> b) Use some userland bridging software (e.g. bridged) - how
> does this fit in with ipf?
> c) Use fastroute with ipf - help appreciated on this; my attempts were
> unsuccessful.
> d) Do some mad routing tricks (e.g. tell it that 10.0.0.1 is on one
> interface and 10.0.0.0/16 is on the other) - this won't forward packets,
> but this probably isn't so crucial. man 8 route doesn't give many clues on
> usage of the interface, ifa or ifb options.
>
> Ideas?

You don't say what addresses the other machines have, or how they get
them.
You might be able to subnet 10/24 into something, or you might use a
different network number on the inside of your NetBSD machine.

Oh, and 10.0/16 means you already are subnetting things. Can't you use
10.1/16 for the machines on the inside?

And you can tell routing to use a specific interface by setting that
interface's address as the gateway.
But it's bad karma to have the same network number on two different
networks. You should really bridge them, in that case. Check bridge(4),
and start playing. And ipf should work fine on this, by the way.

	Johnny