Subject: Re: question about ipf "fastroute"
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/13/2003 17:11:42
>>> I want to do source address based routing for some particular IPs.
>> I have a pseudo-interface driver that does exactly this: [...]
> Do you consider this a security issue?

No.

> I know that in general source routing is frowned about by security
> folks, but I'm not sure if that applies to this situation.

As I understand it it does not.

My understanding is that "source routing" as it is used in the contexts
in which it is (as you say) frowned upon does not refer to routing
based on ip_src, which is what's under discussion here, but rather to
obeying SSRR and LSRR IP options.  The latter is completely orthogonal
to the type of routing I was talking about.  (And, unless I
misunderstood, what the original poster was talking about.)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign