Subject: choice of NIC [was Re: questions about netbsd]
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Pavel Cahyna <pcah8322@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>
List: tech-net
Date: 02/09/2003 16:48:24
> > >network card would you guys recommend for such demanding
> > >environments?
>
> SMC etherpowerII, 3com, intel, ...
> note that the 3com has support for hardware IP4/TCP4/UDP4 checksums, so
> it may be a win for high traffic servers.
> You can also go with intel gigabit adapters (I have the 64bit server, and
> the dual-port 64bit versions), they're not that expensive and also
> have hardware IP4/TCP4/UDP4 checksums. If you have 64bit PCI busses, it
> can be a win even at 100Mbs.

Hello,

please, is this checksumming capability supported on NetBSD? I remember Jason
Thorpe saying that even if Intel's 100 Mbit cards (fxp) can do it, intel
hasn't released the documentation and so it's not supported. Are you
sure that the wm driver in NetBSD can do it? The wm(4) manpage doesn't
mention checksumming at all.

Thanks	Pavel