Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
To: Joel Wilsson <joelw@unix.se>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/23/2003 15:57:10
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Joel Wilsson wrote:

> Would you like to do something like this?
> ifconfig en0 link 00:03:93:ce:11:32
>
> I think I can throw together a patch for ifconfig to enable that...

Yes! Please! It would also be nice, if possible to be able to

    ifconfig en0 lladdr 00:03:93:ce:11:35 alias

(using the same mechanism we use on that card for adding link-level
multicast addresses).

I started hacking this in a while back, but ran into a few more issues
than I had time for.

This is very hand for, among other things, doing failover between
machines.

> but I seem to recall there already is a way to change the MAC
> address.

Not that I know of, outside of hacking the Ethernet driver.

cjs