Subject: Re: "dribbling bit"
To: None <seth@cql.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2003 14:07:43
On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 12:43:43PM -0700, seth@cql.com wrote:
> That's not what I meant.  In no sense can the ethernet encoding be viewed as
> bits on the wire.  There is no simple explanation, but basically the
> interpretation of the signal on the wire depends on the history of the signal.

Which ethernet encoding? There are a few of them... 10Base5, 10Base2,
and 10baseT use Manchester encoding, and I can certainly see bits with
that. 100BaseTX uses an encoding that puts 5 bits on the wire for
every 4 input bits, so I guess it's true that you can't pick out
individual input bits on the wire. You can still pick out a group of
bits though. It does get more complicated with 100BaseT4 and 1000BaseT
where there aren't send and receive pairs, and everything's spread
across 4 pairs of cable...