Subject: Re: bpf write() to local host
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/21/2003 13:24:03
On Tue, 21 Jan 2003, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:58:14AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > > What, no DECnet Phase V?
> >
> > Isn't that the one that requires 'locally administered' MAC addresses
> > for all the cards?
>
> no, that's DECnet phase III-IV (I don't know whether I and II had Ethernet).

Actually, it's just phase IV. Phase III didn't have ethernet support
either.

> DECnet phase V is OSI based, I've read, but I've never seen it alive, so
> I can't tell whether this changes MAC addresses.

It changes the MAC address if it's also in the Phase IV domain, otherwise
it don't.

But Phase V isn't that interesting to have, since we're only talking VMS
then. And those machines might as well play tcp/ip as well.
Phase IV means a lot of other DEC machines, so that would be nice.
(Linux have DECnet phase IV, but it's so lousy it's unusable.)

	Johnny