Subject: Re: "dribbling bit"
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030120T120230@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/20/2003 12:02:53
mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca (Michael Richardson) writes:
> My firewall has started to do:
>
> Jan 20 10:35:20 bud /netbsd: tlp0: receive error: dribbling bit
> Jan 20 10:35:20 bud /netbsd: tlp0: receive error: CRC error
> Jan 20 10:35:22 bud /netbsd: tlp0: receive error: dribbling bit
> Jan 20 10:35:22 bud /netbsd: tlp0: receive error: CRC error

I have always seen this on my external interface.  (Using the same
quad 10/100 Dlink card.)

My guess was that the cheap head-ends that the ISP's use will
underflow their tx's and then send an odd number of bits to signal
that they know something is wrong, but can't do anything about it.  At
least that is the only reason I can think of why only my *external*
interface does this.  (And it did this with athome cable,
telocity/northpoint dsl, and pacbell dsl.)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
      Decoding genes for the sake of cloning is against the DMCA

(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)