Subject: Re: setting power for wi(4)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20030106T144743@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/06/2003 15:03:41
hotz@jpl.nasa.gov (Henry B. Hotz) writes:
> I'm not up on regulations, but if the restriction is on EIRP (as it
> sounds) then  once you get to an antenna that requires you to reduce
> your output you have nothing to gain by using a better antenna.

>From what I've read about the confusing FCC rules in the US you still
win by getting the most focused (highest gain) antenna you can for
point to point links.  You do have to reduce the power some at a
certain EIRP but you only have to reduce the power by 1/3-dB for each
1-db the antenna gain goes up.  (It appears that the FCC really wants
you to use directional antennas at both ends of the link and is
willing to grant a bit of incentive.)  Here is how Tim Pozar explains
it:

        http://www.lns.com/papers/part15/Regulations_Affecting_802_11.pdf
        (see section 3.1.2)

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/

spider food: http://www.wsrcc.com/baddream/usenet/
(NOTE: The email address above is valid.  Edit it at your own peril.)