Subject: Re: NetBSD platform recommendation for cheap, low power, diskless IPsec router firewall
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@engine.ca>
From: David Young <dyoung@ojctech.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/06/2003 01:08:05
Do you need for the device to operate at line speed? A Soekris net4511
(soekris.com) is not very fast, but otherwise it will meet your
requirements with the addition of an adapter card for the 4th ethernet
and a CompactFlash "disk." There are crypto accelerators available.

How do you do multipath routing

Dave

On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 01:52:26AM -0500, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> My apologies if I posted this question to the wrong NetBSD mailing list.
>
> Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could please recommend what cheap,
> small, and low powered NetBSD platform and hardware that I can use for
> an IPsec router firewall with at least 4 distinct 10/100 ethernet
> interfaces.  This router would be used for multipath routing, packet
> filtering & NAT (ipf & ipnat), DHCP client, PPPoE client, and IPsec
> (tunneling & IKE).
>
> I am currently using ix86 NetBSD servers for this type of firewall
> router, and was hoping that I can replace big, powerful hungry ix86
> hardware with some type of cheap, light-weight, low-power hardware.
> Since these routers aren't running any services, they can be embedded,
> diskless hardware.
>
> Any advice on which NetBSD hardware to use, from the many NetBSD
> platforms, would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Alicia.

dyoung@ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933