Subject: Re: setting power for wi(4)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@ojctech.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 01/01/2003 23:38:24
On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 10:13:28PM +0100, Pavel Cahyna wrote:
> how to set the output power (i.e. power emitted by antenna) for a
> wireless card? I havent't found an option for that in wiconfig(8) or
> ifconfig(8), but it seems quite important for me and I was told Linux
> can do this, so it should be possible to do it from software.

Pavel,

The answer is that you cannot (yet) set the output power in NetBSD.
It is possible to do it from software, however. Last I knew, the power
output adjustments on Linux were ad hoc and naive.

Will you describe what you are trying to achieve by adjusting output
power?  I only know my own applications for an output power adjustment;
I would like to account for others' applications in my designs.

(It is funny you should ask about this, because I have been holding a
private e-mail discussion on output power adjustments with M. Warner
Losh, and I began last night to lay the groundwork for this adjustment
in my private NetBSD sources.)

Dave

dyoung@ojctech.com      Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933