Subject: Re: VLAN + bridging problems
To: Dobromir Montauk <dmontauk@rescomp.berkeley.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 12/06/2002 10:41:54
On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:32:37PM -0800, Dobromir Montauk wrote:
> > This doesn't seem to be related to NetBSD.
> It's not.  But my guess is that the NetBSD VLAN driver, like the Linux
> driver, should strip off the VLAN tag before doing anything else - for
> example forwarding the packet through a bridge...  In Linux, supposedly,
> there's a special option to turn this "feature" on/off.  I was hoping
> NetBSD had the same thing.

In NetBSD the vlan header is always removed on input. So the problem is
somewhere else, maybe in the way bridges interracts with input/output routines
of others interfaces.

> > Nothing, this all looks fine. I may have to setup a confiuration like that
> > in the future, I'll have time to investigate (unless someone else does it
> > before :)
> So this isn't a known problem?

No

>  Is there anyone familiar with VLAN +
> bridging I could contact?

Jason Thorpe (thorpej@netbsd.org) did port the bridge stuff from openbsd.
I'm a bit familiar with vlan, and have the hardware to test, but I can't
look at this right now. Maybe next week ...
In any case use send-pr to report the problem, and provide as much details
as possible.