Subject: Re: switching from bind8 to bind9
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/16/2002 01:55:13
[ On Friday, November 15, 2002 at 22:59:14 (-0500), Andrew Brown wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: switching from bind8 to bind9
>
> the query log file syntax is *dratcially* different.

Do you have any concrete real-world example of something that this will
cause a problem for?  (i.e. something that's not just a human user
concern?)

> some configuration file "features" are "gone", meaning that config
> files will need to be tweaked and tweaked until the name server deigns
> to start.

It's not entirely that bad -- some of the missing features are just
warned about and named starts anyway.  The only thing I've had trouble
with are the "logging" categories -- some no longer exist and unknown
ones are not ignored.  Unless many people are using my templates I'm not
sure how common this problem will really be.

Worse though is that some of those features are crucial for some uses.
For example the "host-statistics" option allows the operator of a
recursive caching nameserver to determine where any records in the cache
were learned from (and when).

I consider the full "check-names" feature set quite critical for
production use too.

> people need to learn to configure and to use rndc instead of plain old
> ndc (not *completely* sure about this one, but i'm pretty sure that
> the "unix" domain control socket goo is gone).

That's a bit of an issue, but it's not difficult to provide simple
templates that will work for anyone by default.

> don't get me wrong...i think i like bind9, but i know there are a
> couple of things i'd really like from it that it just doesn't have.
> it seems really close though...

I still don't know if I like bind9 any better.  I do know that I don't
really like the bind8 code -- it's really quite grotty and hard to work
with.

I'm most interested in what might be done to update the resolver library
code....  (especially since bugs in that code that were discovered and
documented and fixed by some folks about five years ago weren't fixed in
NetBSD until just the other day (yes I know I should have been keeping
my eyes open for such things too))

--
								Greg A. Woods