Subject: Re: switching from bind8 to bind9
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/15/2002 22:59:14
>>	- what are the upgrade issues for people running bind8 ?
>
>	see doc/misc/migration in BIND9 tar.gz.  bind9 is pickier to some of
>	the zone file parameters.

the query log file syntax is *dratcially* different.

some configuration file "features" are "gone", meaning that config
files will need to be tweaked and tweaked until the name server deigns
to start.

different classes (eg, inet, hesiod, chaos) need to be in different
"views", which forces people to learn what those are.

people need to learn to configure and to use rndc instead of plain old
ndc (not *completely* sure about this one, but i'm pretty sure that
the "unix" domain control socket goo is gone).

>>	- what other pros / cons are there of bind9 over 8 ?
>
>	pros: IPv6 support
>	cons: performance drawback (lower query-per-sec, but it is improving)
>	cons: unneeded A6 query issued (9.3.x should fix it)
>
>	there are other items documented in doc/misc/migration.

there are probably more.

don't get me wrong...i think i like bind9, but i know there are a
couple of things i'd really like from it that it just doesn't have.
it seems really close though...

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
werdna@squooshy.com       * "information is power -- share the wealth."