Subject: Re: BIND
To: Jon Buller <jon@bullers.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/12/2002 17:56:13
[ On Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 13:59:25 (-0800), Jon Buller wrote: ]
> Subject: BIND
>
> After seeing the new BIND vulnerabilities, I curious to know if
> there is a reason our in-tree version is 8 and hasn't been upgraded
> to 9.
>
> Are we still waiting for all the bugs to be shook out of the new
> BIND codebase?  Is there some other upgrade problem or difficulty?
> Or is it just lack of volunteer time/effort?

I don't know about BIND-9 vs. NetBSD, but I do know that BIND-9 isn't
quite up to par with BIND-8 for the very purposes it's being suggested
(i.e. to run as a recursive caching server).  It lacks a range of
related features that I find critical in a production environment.  I'll
probably soon put it into production on some auth-only non-recursive
nameservers though.

--
								Greg A. Woods