Subject: Re: pf for NetBSD
To: Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Joel Wilsson <joelw@sii.unix.se>
List: tech-net
Date: 11/06/2002 13:22:05
Personally I don't care, because the main reason I did this was to
learn more about the kernel, but I guess some might find it useful
to take a ruleset from their OpenBSD firewalls and use it directly
under NetBSD.

And it has been asked about, so I thought "why not?":
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2002/10/23/0001.html

I don't know enough about ipfilter to answer your question, but
iirc ipfilter can't pick up the state of existing TCP connections
when it starts up (pf can). Oh, and the pf code is a lot cleaner imo.

http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf-paper.pdf is worth reading to learn more.

Not relevant to your question, but it seems there is a problem with
pflog under NetBSD. I'll try to fix that if there's any interest.

//joelw