Subject: Re: writable file descriptors in libpcap
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Mark Allman <mallman@grc.nasa.gov>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/22/2002 09:17:20
> It is useful to be able to write to the pcap's file descriptor.
> This is used by some Ethernet simulators (like the experimenal
> Ethernet simulator for the SIMH VAX simulator) which run on many
> operating systems (and thus use the pcap interface to hide most of
> the OS-specific stuff).
>
> The attached patch to libpcap causes it to open the BPF
> descriptors for reading and writing.  Any objections?

I don't object, per se.  Seems like a useful idea to me.

But, why not add this change to the libpcap maintained at
tcpdump.org and then use their code in netbsd?  It seems like the
way to go if you're really looking for a non-OS specific solution.

Or, maybe there is a reason netbsd is maintaining their own libpcap
that I don't understand (?).

allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/