Subject: Is the epic driver broken on 1.6 ?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Jerome Sobecki <sobek@chopin.sis.pasteur.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/09/2002 16:27:48
Hi,

I have a strange problem with SMC ethernet cards (83c170) under NetBSD 1.6.

When I use a 10 Mb connection, all is OK (I can have around 6 Mbps when I get
files from a local ftp server). But when I use a 100 Mb link, I can'thave
better than 300 kbps. And no collisions are detected.
Also, I have some unexpected "lost carrier", and a ping to another computer of
the local network takes around 6s, against less than 0.2ms with the 10 Mb link.

I have tried with 3 cards (2 from the same pack and one older) on 2
computers (both i386) and 2 100 Mb links (the router is the same), but I always
have the same problem.

I also check : the connection is OK when I put a 3com card in my box, and the
SMC cards work fine in 100 Mb when I put NetBSD 1.5.1.

Does anyone have an idea ?

Thanks

--
Jerome Sobecki