Subject: Re: if_bge on big endian systems
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Andreas_=D6man?= <andreas@packetfront.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 10/07/2002 11:44:52
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:39:05AM +0200, Andreas Öman wrote:
> Im having some trouble with the bge driver on a PPC system.
> When the driver resets the chip the on-chip firmware does
> not seem to start.
> Before i dig into this it would be nice to rule out some possibilities.
>
> Has anyone run this chip (successfully) on a big endian system, or
> perhaps even PPC ?

Yes, when I ported it, I made sure it worked on sparc64. Being
big-endian, 64bit, and having bus_dmamap_sync as a function
that needs to do work (not a no-op like on i386), it's a good platform
to make sure that a driver works correctly.

I remember talking to at least one developer who was running it on
macppc at the time, so an endian issue is perhaps not your most
likely candidate.

Beware that the BCM570x chips have many broken revisions of the chip,
requiring workarounds. I don't think the driver works around all
of them quite yet. But I have not heard of a bug that would kick
in quite so early.

- Frank

--
Frank van der Linden                                    fvdl@wasabisystems.com