Subject: Re: AX25 on NetBSD
To: Alex Barclay <alex@planet-barclay.com>
From: Prévotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/27/2002 02:06:25
I believe there are other things
that are different , especially regarding
support of wireless links

But then again I am not an expert at AX25
Although i find this protocol awkward and
old fashioned, HAM and CB packet users are still
using it these days and the only platform that has
integrated AX25 support is Linux and I don't plan
on using Linux. So it is a shame (it is not vital
for me though) that NetBSD does not support AX25
out of the box like Linux does.

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:34:47 -0600
Alex Barclay <alex@planet-barclay.com> wrote:

> Christophe Prévotaux wrote:
>
> >I looked , and I see nothing concerning AX25 which is *NOT*
> >X.25 as you seem to ignore.
> >
> >unless I am mistaking , x.25 is useless over a HAM link and
> >is not compatible with AX25.
> >
> >Thank for the answer anyway :)
> >

> I realize that AX25 and X.25 are different. I thought that the major
> difference was the addition of source, destination and intemediary
> callsigns to meet various governments requirements on callsigns on
> transmissions. Are there any other differences?
>
> Alex.

Christophe Prevotaux      Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine   Direct: +33 (0)3 26 61 77 72
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center