Subject: Re: VIA Rhine II (D-Link DFE530TX) not autonegotiating (kern/16790)
To: Tyler Mitchell <fission@styrophone.net>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/12/2002 11:31:33
Since I've been hit by if_vr.c issues quite a lot (I think there is a PR still
open that it stalls under heavy load, where heavy = normal NFS useage from
a semi-fast client or two simultaneous ftp sessions at 100 MBit), I'd like
to share my feelings about this chipset: it is crap - avoid it. It seems to
have undocumented chipset bugs.

For what it's worth: Windows ME and Win2K both have (sometimes - not always
but often) problems autonegotiating. I've seen the WinME driver stall under
load about as often as ours does (additionally it's performance sucks, while
ours is OK).

Also see various discussions (without real solutions) on linux mailing
lists, they seem to have both problems too.

Martin