Subject: VIA Rhine II (D-Link DFE530TX) not autonegotiating (kern/16790)
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Tyler Mitchell <fission@styrophone.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/11/2002 22:35:50
Hello,

I'm having some problems with this NIC autonegotiating to my Linksys
EtherFast 10/100 16-port Workgroup Switch.  I've added a bit to an
existing PR (kern/16790) but since nobody else has touched it since it was
submitted three months ago, I decided to ask here as well.

As I've mentioned in the PR, the card will work at a very slow speed,
until I issue the command "ifconfig vr0 media autoselect".  Once I do
this, the card works at a speed that I'd expect from a 100Mbit card.
Unfortunately, putting this ifconfig command in /etc/ifconfig.vr0 or
/etc/rc.local doesn't seem to make it work; a bit of traffic is required
before the card can successfully re-autonegotiate.

Also I have seen this card display "vr0: reset never completed!" when the
computer reboots (but never from a cold boot).  When it does this, the
card refuses to work at all, and usually it takes a poweroff and cold boot
to make it work properly again.

Has anyone else seen either of these two errors?  Any insights to these
problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

--
Tyler Mitchell