Subject: wireless tx power control?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@ojctech.com>
List: tech-net
Date: 08/05/2002 19:17:03
To facilitate bandwidth re-use, wireless interfaces should use the least
transmit power they need to send a packet to its next hop.

In BSD, it looks like routing table entries are easily labeled with a TX
power level. Fortunately, if_output is called with a routing table entry,
so it is easy for an interface to know the power level to use if it's
in the routing table.

But what if an application wants for packets sent through its socket to
use a certain power level, regardless of the routing table entry? Just for
example, it is desirable for a routing daemon to be able to transmit at
any power level, so that it can discover the least power level necessary
to reach a host.

I cannot find any way for TX power level settings to descend from the
application level all the way to the interface level, so I don't know
how I would implement TX power level adjustments in NetBSD.

Where will power level adjustments fit in the networking architecture?

Dave

dyoung@onthejob.net     Engineering from the Right Brain
                        Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933