Subject: Re: no v4?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/15/2002 06:17:04
>The big one, though, is X.  There appears to be no FamilyInternet6 for
>X.  I can of course invent one and hack in the relevant pieces myself,
>but thought I'd ask here first in case there's already an effort
>underway to carry X11 over tcp6 - I'd like, of course, to be
>interoperable, if there's anything to interoperate with.  I did check
>the xsrc area on ftp.netbsd.org, and the <X.h>s in xc/ and xfree/xc/
>have just FamilyInternet, no FamilyInternet6.  Did I miss something?

	there are efforts to make X-over-IPv6 possible, including:
	- old patches from INRIA
	- recent patch from Sun Microsystems
	the latter is considered for inclusion into X11R6.x (or R7?).

	the issue is that X is not using sockaddrs right (they use "int" to
	hold IPv4 addresses, IIRC) so it needs a serious cleanup before we
	actually make it IPv6-capable.  the good thing is that we need to just
	change some libraries, and we're done.

	for the time being, you can use ssh X11 forwarding....

itojun