Subject: Re: no v4?
To: None <tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-net
Date: 07/14/2002 17:38:14
>> The big one, though, is X.  There appears to be no FamilyInternet6
>> for X.  [...]
> there are efforts to make X-over-IPv6 possible, [...]
> the issue is that X is not using sockaddrs right (they use "int" to
> hold IPv4 addresses, IIRC) so it needs a serious cleanup before we
> actually make it IPv6-capable.

Is it really that bad?  I'd think that with Chaosnet and especially
DECnet under its belt, IPv6 wouldn't be that big a deal.  (But then,
I've not looked at the code yet, either - perhaps DECnet and Chaosnet
aren't really supported, just sitting around in <X11/X.h>.)

> for the time being, you can use ssh X11 forwarding....

Well, sort of.  It doesn't work very well when the target machine has
no v4 address associated with its name:

[Red] 398> laptop xdpyinfo
xdpyinfo:  unable to open display "Laptop.Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA:1.0".
[Red] 399>

I could maybe play with xauth and use 127.0.0.1:1.0, but that seems
like yet another kludge.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign