Subject: Patches available for ipmon, NetBSD/sparc64
To: None <port-sparc64@netbsd.org, tech-net@netbsd.org>
From: Tomi Nylund <wizard@in.finland.invalid>
List: tech-net
Date: 06/28/2002 09:36:01
Hello all,

We produced a couple of small patches with a friend of mine for
the ipmon's logging problem in sparc64. (ipmon not reading anything,
though stuff arrives at /dev/ipl). There were actually two separate
problems involved: one with datatype mismatches for a pointer
(size_t vs. int, size_t being 64 bits in sparc64).
We think this bug also plagues NetBSD/alpha, but does not show up due
to it being little-endian machine. The other was with struct timeval,
which holds two 32-bit integers, but which in this case were actually
64 bits long. This screwed up the timestamp ipmon read from /dev/ipl,
once we actually made it read something from there ;)

The bugs have been filed under names kern/17403 and kern/17404.

The bug reports contain more details to the problem described.

The patches are available via http from:

http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~wizard/ipmon_patch.tar
http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~wizard/ip_log.c-patch.tar

The first fixes the timestamp problem, second datatype mismatches.
The patches should be portable to all platforms, but of course need
testing. I'm not currently able to test them on other platforms
than sparc64, where they work correctly, but planning to try i386
and sparc in near future.

Would love to see that logging problem fixed in 1.6 :)

Regards,
Tomi

---
PGP key at http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~wizard